We always ate artichokes as a child and I love them to this day! They are simple to make, packed full of vitamins and minerals, and tasty! Even my 1 year old picky toddler loves them! I hope you give them a try! We like them so much that we grow them in our garden during the summer months.
- Dipping sauce (butter or ranch dressing are our families favorites!)
1. Wash the artichoke and cut off the stem. I run the artichoke under the sink water and then put it upside down. I move the leaves a little bit to make sure water can get in between the leaves and then cut off the stem. I leave about a centimeter of a stem left at the base of the artichoke.
2. Steam the artichoke for about 45 minutes until the leaves peal off easily. I flip the artichoke over about half way through cooking time. Be sure to add water throughout the process as the water evaporates!
3. Peel off each leave and dip it into desired dipping sauce. Our family likes to dip the leaves in butter or ranch dressing.
Eat the “meat” off of the base of the leave by scraping it off with your teeth.
When you get through all the leaves, the artichoke will look like this:
4. take a spoon and scoop off the hair.
5. This is the artichoke heart. Eat and enjoy!!!